Saturday, September 13, 2014

Chartreuse Crop Job

I grabbed a few pieces at a neighbor's yard sale sometime back in July, including this chartreuse sweater. What I didn't notice upon grabbing it were the several and varied stains along the bottom half of the torso and sleeves... :-/ Meh. The best way to get rid of all of that was to simply chop off the offending portions. Which is just what I did...before snapping a before shot ;)

With my newly cropped sweater, I decided that I'd go the easiest route and simply finish off the raw edges. I grabbed some thrifted yellow bias tape and first topstitched on the outside of the raw edges, folded it under, topstitched it again giving it about a 3/4 inch hem, then folded it under once more so that the bias tape lines the inner side of the hems. I had some taking in to do, and thanks to my new hem without stretch, I got to get a little creative. I decided to fold over a portion in the back, and marked the area with pins.

I then grabbed a thrifted snap and hand stitched the folds, then the button, in place.

Now, when I put it on, all I have to do is snap it closed in back and I have a fitted cropped sweater...perfect for layering :). I paired it with this thrifted silk, black and white striped top + thrifted & refashioned skinny jeans.

I need to fiddle with the snap a bit as I don't think I like the off-center placement, but that's a simple matter. What do you think? Does it look like it needs to be slightly more secure? Perhaps two snaps? Center placement? I'm also considering doing two snaps creating two smaller folds centered side-by-side in the back...maybe I'll play around a bit with this. Oh! Maybe I'll insert elastic, creating a gathered portion in the back!!! Ha! Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner...

Either way, I love this layered look, and wish I could have photographed it with my boots in the lovely outdoors, however we are experiencing a very gray, rainy day. Perfect for cozying up with hot chocolate and a snuggle with my family on the couch while watching movies and, generally, just being lazy ;).

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of two snaps. I think the double folds would look cute, especially if you top sewed some buttons over each snap.

    JJ
    www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for weighing in, JJ! I though initially I'd go that route...but now I think I like the idea of elastic ;) I'll update once I've completed it!

      Delete
  2. Love the outfit! I think I'd go with some elastic on the back, though the two snaps could also look pretty cute. I usually finish knit things with knit fabric, so that it still has the stretch to it, but all in all, I love the cropped look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely going with elastic...I'd chosen some scrap knit fabric to finish it off, but for some reason thought that the bias tape would work leaving me with a loose-hanging hemline...but it didn't look right :-/ Live and learn! I'll update once I add the elastic!

      Delete
  3. Hey! Love this - definitely pinning it! It's so simple yet so cute. Great color...definitely need to check in on your DIY projects more often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by, Martyna! Love your blog :)

      Delete